Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
September 7, 2011
Call to Order – Katherine Price
- A motion was made and passed to approve the June 7, 2011 PTA meeting minutes.
- The PTA will pay for babysitting this year during PTA meetings (meetings are the first Tuesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. in the library). We will try to keep the meetings to approximately one hour in length and we’re hoping to increase attendance at the meetings each month.
- The PTA Executive Board was introduced. Mrs. Price thanked Margie Finn for collecting used books and games and other items from the school and donating them to the Arlington Pediatric Center and the National Children’s Center.
Principal’s Report – Kenwyn Schaffner
- Ms. Schaffner thanked everyone for their kind words and support as she starts her
new job as Principal of Jamestown. Ms. Schaffner also introduced and welcomed our new Assistant Principal, Ms. Colette Moorehead. If any parents or teachers have questions, please let Ms. Schaffner or Ms. Moorehead know. They will work together as a team. Ms. Schaffner will focus on grades 3-5 including special education students in those grades as well as the MIPA students. Ms. Moorehead will focus on the PreK special education students, Montessori, grades K-2, and multiage including the special education students in those grades.
- We have 591 students this year and we are off to a smooth start so far. We also have a well-educated and well-trained staff.
Internal Relations – Renee Clough
- All parents and teachers are invited to join the PTA. Please fill out the membership envelope with your contact information. The cost is $10 per member.
- The Ice Cream social will be on September 14 from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Please come!
- All families who are new to Jamestown this year should sign up for School Talk on the APS website at www.apsva.us. Also, please sign up for the Jamestown PTA e-newsletter which contains lots of helpful information. Just send an email to JamestownPTA@comcast.net.
- All new families who completed a form requesting a “buddy family” have been paired with a family. If any new family would like to have a buddy family and has not yet requested this, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Treasurer – Jill Curran
- Current financial statements were distributed. The proposed 2011-12 budget was also distributed and discussed and will be voted on at the Back to School nights.
- Some changes were made to the proposed budget including an addition of $400 to pay for child care for PTA meetings, and an addition of $250 to pay for the PTA Cloud and to cover online registration for after-school activities.
- The staff’s Wellness Coordinator has asked the PTA to subsidize yoga and pilates classes for staff at Jamestown. After discussion, a motion was made and approved to add $750 to the PTA’s proposed budget for the Teacher’s Wellness Committee to use on wellness activities.
Corresponding Secretary – Laura Cressey
- Ms. Cressey will survey the community to determine (1) information the community would like to learn more about during the pre-PTA meeting discussions each month, and (2) subjects that would be helpful to include on the PTA website.
Fundraising – Wendy Noe
- The PTA had hoped to hold a 5k race in the fall as a community-building activity and a fundraiser. Due to issues with permits and conflicts with other schools’ activities, we are unable to schedule this activity for the Fall. But, Jamestown will participate in the Race for the Cause, an 8k race and 1-mile fun run held on October 16. At the time you register, you will be able to select a non-profit of your choice to receive support. We discussed putting our support behind the Greenbrier Learning Center which serves Arlington schools and promotes education, youth leadership and strong families through structured enrichment programs beyond the school day. http://www.greenbrierlearning.org. The charity with the most supporters will be eligible for additional proceeds so please consider participating and supporting this group.
- Our fundraising theme this year is “Safari” and all fundraising activities will relate to this theme.
- Please turn in your grocery card registration form and help Jamestown raise thousands of dollars just by grocery shopping.
- The Book Fair will be held on November 15-17, 2011. The Winter Social will be on February 3 or February 10.
- We need Winter Social chairs and Spring Fair chairs. Volunteers will have a lot of help. Please consider volunteering for these positions.
- Adjourned 9:10 p.m.