Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
September 7, 2010
Call to Order – Cliff Logan
• The meeting was called to order at 7:35 p.m.
• School Board Member Mr. James Lander attended the meeting. Mr. Lander is Jamestown’s liaison to the School Board. Mr. Lander stressed the importance of parents supporting the school bond so that the needed construction can take place for Thomas Jefferson and Wakefield. (There are approximately 21,300 students in Arlington Public Schools. Approximately 82% of Arlington County residents do not have children.) Mr. Lander also encouraged parent feedback to the School Board and reminded us that there is a rotating schedule of Board members who are available to field questions and concerns via scheduled open office hours.
• Parent Kate Patton mentioned that Kirk Martin, a behaviorist, who spoke at Jamestown two years ago, is willing to come speak again. Because he now lives in Tennessee, there would be a $1500 charge for a two day session. Ms. Patton is trying to determine whether other PTAs would be interested in contributing. His website is www.celebratecalm.com. Ms. Patton also reported that there is a new PTA in Virginia called the Arlington Special Education PTA. Members do not need to live in Arlington to join.
Principal’s Report – Laura Annan Glascoe
• The first day of school went very smoothly and was a success.
• In response to the PTA’s request, APS put together a recommendation for improving the sound system in the multi-purpose room. Implementing the recommendation would cost $10,000.
• After many years of requesting that APS approve the installation of door locks on all of the classrooms (locking from the inside for emergency purposes), APS gave us an estimate for door locks. Phase 1 – installing locks on the inside of all classroom doors in the original part of the building would cost $10,749. Phase 2 – installing locks on the inside of all classroom doors in the remaining building would cost $7,393. Ms. Annan has asked APS to clarify the amount, if any, it would contribute to this project. Laura Cressey agreed to draft a letter from the PTA to School Board Member James Lander to request that APS contribute to the payment of these locks.
• APS plans to install new front doors and new external doors near the gym by December 2010. APS is updating the security doors at all schools.
• Ms. Annan and Ms. Schaffner thanked the Hospitality Committee for providing lunch for the teachers last week.
Fundraising – Katherine Price
• We are trying to expand the grocery program this year and we will focus more on the escrips program through which we raised $13,000 last year. Parents will be able to register for the grocery programs at Back to School night.
• The Sally Foster fundraiser will begin on September 19, 2010. This year the children will sell $20 gift cards that may be used for on-line Sally Foster purchases. All purchases will then be shipped directly to the buyers’ homes.
Treasurer – Jill Curran
• The proposed budget for the 2010-11 school year was again reviewed. Membership will vote on the proposed budget at Back to School night.
External Relations – Brenna Isman
• The Ice Cream Social will be held on Saturday, September 25, from 2-4 p.m. Renee Clough is the coordinator and will be asking for volunteers to help.
• Thanks to Susan Heffren for organizing the coffee for the parents on the first day of school. We have 39 new families at Jamestown this year.
Corresponding Secretary – Laura Cressey
• Marty Heffren is in the process of updating the Jamestown PTA website.
Adjourned 8:30 p.m.