Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
September 8, 2009
Call to Order – Cliff Logan
• The meeting was called to order at 7:33 p.m. There was a motion made and accepted to approve the minutes of the June 9, 2009, PTA meeting.
• The next PTA meeting will be held on October 6, 2009, at 7:30. Before the meeting (6:30) there will be a FLES presentation. At 7:00, there will be a presentation on Responsive Classroom.
Principal’s Report – Laura Annan Glascoe
• The first day of school was a success. The children and teachers had a calm, peaceful start to the year.
• Thanks to the PTA for funding the Responsive Classroom Training this summer. Seven teachers, Ms. Annan Glascoe, and Ms. Schaffner attended the training and, in turn, trained the entire JES staff. Thanks also for funding Ms. Blake’s and Ms. Gagliolo’s attendance at the Community Learning (IT) Conference this summer. Also, we also now have Smart Boards in every classroom.
• Ms. Annan Glascoe and Ms. Schaffner thanked the Hospitality Committee for providing lunch on Friday, September 4.
• This year, there has been a change in the Perfect Attendance policy. Sick days will not affect a child’s Perfect Attendance record. Please keep children home from school until they are symptom-free for 24 hours.
• September 11, 2009, is National Service Day. The students will work on community service projects around the school.
• We now have a 4-way stop at Delaware St. and 36th Street. The crossing guard has been moved to the crosswalk in front of the school.
• At the end of June, APS began a permanent back-up of email. Please do not share confidential information about children over email.
Treasurer’s Report – Roger Bultman
• Mr. Bultman reviewed the proposed 2009-10 budget with the PTA. A motion was made and approved to present this budget to the parents at the upcoming Back to School Nights.
• A motion was made and approved to accept a Resolution that gives Roger Bultman, Cliff Logan and Laura Cressey authority to sign checks for the PTA.
Fundraising – Katherine Price
• At the Back to School Nights, Wendy Noe will ask for volunteers to help with the Winter Social.
• The Sally Foster fundraiser begins September 14. Orders must be in by September 30.
• Fliers with information on ordering JES merchandise will go home this week.
Internal Relations – Peggy Richardson
• Laura Ayres presented a proposal to fund a “Scientist in Residence” program. The proposed PTA budget includes $5500 for this program. The money will fund educators with specific science expertise to support and/or train JES teachers and present hands-on, interactive science projects in the classrooms. Mrs. Ayres will attempt to find a corporate sponsor to match this money. Please let her know if you have any ideas for sponsors.
• Packets containing fliers on PTA-sponsored activities will go home on Friday, September 11.
External Relations – Brenna Isman
• Herman Narcho gave an update on the school overcrowding issue. The School Board voted not to change APS boundaries for the 2009-10 or the 2010-11 school years. APS may decide to increase class sizes, however. If so, first grades could have up to 24 children per class, second and third grades could have up to 26 children per class, and fourth and fifth grades could have up to 28 children per class.
• Herman Narcho also informed the PTA that the Arlington Soccer Association would like to replace the soccer goal posts at JES. Arlington County indicated initial agreement but wants to make sure that the administration and parents at JES are also in agreement. In response to a concern that was raised, Mr. Narcho will determine whether the goal posts are removable. A motion was made and approved that, if the goal posts are removable, we will accept the offer.
• Alex’s Lemonade Stand made approximately $1083. Approximately 50 fifth graders volunteered.
• The Ice Cream Social may be held on October 3, 2009. More information to follow.
• Jay Harris informed the PTA that PK soccer registration has been extended through Friday, September 11. Coaches are still needed.
Corresponding Secretary – Laura Cressey
• The JES website is up and running. Send any information for the e-newsletter to Karen Apsel. The newsletter will be sent out each Friday.
Adjourned 8:45 p.m.