PTA Meeting Minutes – September 2, 2008
Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
September 2, 2008Call to Order – Herman Narcho
• The meeting was called to order at 7:33 pm. In addition to the Executive Board, approximately 25 parents were present. Babysitting was provided and funded by the PTA.
• The minutes of the June 2, 2008 PTA meeting were approved.
• Herman reported that Jamestown is almost at capacity. If projected growth numbers are correct, we will need at least one trailer next year. The School Board is reviewing the overcrowding issue in North Arlington again this year and is considering additional boundary changes that could affect Jamestown for next year. The Jamestown point person for boundary issues is Danielle Werchowsky. If it appears that the School Board will take action to resolve the overcrowding issue, the PTA will inform the community through a listerv notice (e-mail).
Principal’s Report – Ms. Laura Annan Glascoe
• The first day of school went very well. It was quiet, calm, and orderly.
• Fourth grade teachers who were present at the PTA meeting reported that they would like to add a trip to Williamsburg to their annual Jamestown Field Trip. The PTA has covered the expenses of this field trip over the last three years. The trip to Williamsburg will increase the cost somewhat but the trip will still take place over the course of one day. The fourth grade teachers will estimate the approximate increase in cost and report back.
• On September 11, 2008, the fifth grade chorus will perform at the Kennedy Center. Also on that day, we will have Patriots Day at Jamestown and the children will be encouraged to wear red, white and blue to school and will hear the fifth grade chorus sing at an assembly.
• In addition to the weekly fire drills during September, there will be a shelter-in-place drill on September 10, 2008, an evacuation drill on September 26, 2008, and a lockdown drill on October 22, 2008. After the first month of school, fire drills take place once a month.
• Jamestown is at 97% capacity. We have 553 students (and capacity is 572). We are denying transfer requests and we are beyond APS’s projected number of students.
• This year we have 3 new FLES teachers; one additional full time Art teacher; one additional full time Music teacher; and a full time Resource Teacher of the Gifted (RTG). Schools with 500 or more students received a full time RTG. APS created a job description for the RTG that lends itself to being in a school full time. Jamestown’s RTG (Ms. Silversmith) will push in and pull out in all grade levels. We also have a math coach who will supplement the Investigations Program.
• Ms. Annan and Ms. Schaffner thanked the PTA for providing lunch for the staff the week before school began.
Fundraising – Katherine Price
• The grocery program is underway. Please register your grocery cards online or get a form from Katherine. The Sally Foster program will start on September 9. Brenna Isman and Kara O’Connor are the co-chairs. There will also be a Discount Network Magazine sale until October 26.
Treasurer’s Report – Miriam Discenza
• Ms. Discenza provided a wrap up of last year’s budget and a draft budget for the 2008-09 school year. It will be voted on at Back to School night.
• After the audit which is underway is completed, Ms. Discenza will do the taxes.
Internal Relations – Julie Esanu
• Back to school packets will go out this Friday.
• On October 7, 2008, before the PTA meeting, Ms. Silversmith, the RTG, will present on the gifted program in Arlington
• Before the November PTA meeting, there will be a presentation on the FLES program at Jamestown.
Community Relations – Karen Apsel
• At the Open House, the fifth graders raised approximately $950 at Alex’s Lemonade Stand.
• We are collecting back packs and school supplies for Hoffman-Boston. There will be a box in the front hall near the office.
• The Ice Cream social will be held September 13 from 2-3:30.
Website Update – Laura Cressey
• We are looking for someone to help maintain our website. Let Laura Cressey know if you can help.
• Please sign up for Jamestown’s list serv if you have not done so. It is one of the PTA’s primary modes of communication.
The meeting adjourned at 8:12 pm.