Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
October 4, 2011
Call to Order – Katherine Price
- Before the meeting, Lori West, Jamestown’s Math Coach, and Alexandra Wappel, our Math Lead Teacher, explained the components of the new math curriculum, Math Expressions, and answered questions.
- Dr. Emma Violand-Sánchez, the Arlington School Board member who is Jamestown Elementary School’s contact on the board, attended the meeting and spoke about her role as a liaison between Jamestown and the School Board. She also spoke briefly about the APS Strategic Plan and capacity issues that are facing APS. She invited parents to contact her with any questions.
- A motion was made and passed to approve the September 6, 2011 PTA meeting minutes.
Principal’s Report – Kenwyn Schaffner
- Ms. Schaffner reviewed Jamestown’s 2010-11 SOL scores and handed out a printed version of the results showing Grades 3 through 5 and the pass rates in each subject. The students did very well overall and our school plan for this school year will focus on increasing the percentage of students in the “Pass Advanced” category.
- Jamestown will participate in the Race for the Cause, an 8k race and 1-mile fun run held on October 16. At the time you register, you will be able to select a non- profit of your choice to receive support. Please consider supporting the
Greenbrier Learning Center which serves Arlington schools and promotes education, youth leadership and strong families through structured enrichment programs beyond the school day.
- In response to parents’ concerns, Ms. Schaffner will speak with Ms. Kahler and try to provide additional age-appropriate playground equipment during recess.
- On November 1, 2011, before the PTA meeting, Ms. Amy Miknis, Jamestown’s resource teacher for the gifted, will share information about gifted services from 7:00 – 7:30 PM. Childcare will be provided by the PTA starting at 7:00 p.m.
Internal Relations – Renee Clough
- Thanks to Christine Purrington and Tina Papamichael for organizing the Ice Cream social on September 14. It was a big success!
- We already have more than 400 PTA members this year. All parents and teachers are invited to join the PTA. Please fill out the membership envelope with your contact information. The cost is $10 per member.
Treasurer – Jill Curran
- Current financial statements were distributed.
- A motion was made and approved to add $500 to the 2011-12 budget which was mistakenly omitted for PTA technology to help with the PTA Cloud and website assistance.
External Relations – Audrey Lesesne
- Please let Wheat’s Landscaping know that you have seen their sign at Jamestown (for the free landscaping work they have done for us). Also, please consider using Wheat’s for your personal landscaping needs.
- Karen McAndrews spoke about creating a Student Wellness program in order to help children make healthy lifestyle/food choices. Ms. McAndrews has researched various programs and considered having a chef or nutritionist come to Jamestown and work with children. She is working with Ms. Schaffner on implementing this idea. One possibility is to work with the “Chefs on the Move Program” and its school component (“Chefs Move to the Schools”). We would also have a Wellness Night for the parents, teachers and children to demonstrate the program. Ms. McAndrews is still researching the options and will send out information in the PTA newsletter. Thank you for supporting this program.
Fundraising – Wendy Noe
- The Spring Fair will be on April 21, 2012. We still need chairs. Please contact Wendy Noe to volunteer.
- The Winter Social will be held on February 10, 2012 at the Washington Golf and Country Club. The Fall Book Fair will be on November 14, 15, 16.
- Adjourned 8:30 p.m.