PTA Meeting Minutes – October 6, 2009


Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
October 6, 2009

Call to Order – Cliff Logan
• The meeting was called to order at 7:33 p.m. There was a motion made and accepted to approve the minutes of the September 8, 2009, PTA meeting.
• Before the meeting, there was a presentation by the FLES teachers. Laura Hansen also gave a presentation on Responsive Classroom.
• The APS Transportation Department is reviewing all bus routes due to late bus arrivals. Adjustments will be made.

Principal’s Report – Laura Annan Glascoe
• The Assistant Superintendent for Facilities at APS will determine whether we may install a sliding glass security door in the front lobby of the school. We have a bid to install the door for $9800. $7000 that was set aside for classroom door locks would be used to help pay for the installation of the door.
• We are still exploring avenues to obtain a Scientist-in-Residence. One person has agreed to teach 3 lessons and be observed to determine whether she would fit the vision for this program.
• Thank you to Karen Swingle for organizing the flu shot clinic on September 30, 2009.
• A question was raised about the HB Woodlawn bus crossing into the oncoming lane of traffic in the morning. Ms. Annan Glascoe will contact the APS Transportation Department.

Treasurer’s Report – Roger Bultman
• Mr. Bultman reviewed the budget and explained recent sources of income and recent expenses. Mr. Bultman will send a letter to the points of contact for each line item in the budget informing them of the amount of their budget and explaining that the money must be spent by July 31, 2010.
• 235 families joined the PTA this year.
• A parent asked to see a copy of the Cash on Hand Report, Profit Loss Statement and a Balance Sheet in the Quicken format. Mr. Bultman will produce these reports.

Fundraising – Katherine Price
• The Sally Foster fundraiser raised over $9000. Thank you to Carmen Romero and Michelle Cowan. The winner of the karaoke machine will be announced next week.
• The t-shirt sale has ended. Orders will arrive October 17. Thank you to Sarah Moore, Nancy Marin and Ruth Gordon.
• Parents were reminded to register grocery cards. The number of cards registered has decreased from last year.
• A motion was made and approved to buy Auction Software that will assist the Auction Chairs with circulating the auction catalog, and streamlining the registration and check-out processes. The money for the software (approx $2000) will come from the proceeds of the auction.

Internal Relations – Peggy Richardson
• Duke Dwyer and Margaret Clarkson volunteered to be co-chairs for the Spring Fair. We still need a Games Chair.

External Relations – Brenna Isman
• We are waiting to hear whether Laura McGinnis will be able to help with an Ice Cream Social on October 18, 2009. If not, we will solicit other volunteers.
• David Oblon reported that he has conflicts with some of the CCPTA meetings this year and would like someone to volunteer to attend these meetings. A request will be made on the list serv.
• Betsy Upton, a parent at the school, will bring information to the next PTA meeting about photographing and fingerprinting the students under the Secret Service’s “Operation Safekids” program. The information is not entered into electronic databases.

Corresponding Secretary – Laura Cressey
• The JES directory has gone to the printer. Extra copies will be available in the office for $5. Thank you to Diane Small for her work on the directory.

Adjourned 8:35 p.m.