PTA Meeting Minutes – November 7, 2010
Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
November 7, 2010
Call to Order – Cliff Logan
• The meeting was called to order at 7:40 p.m.
• Motions were made and passed to approve the November 2, 2010 PTA meeting minutes.
Principal’s Report – Laura Annan Glascoe
• Prior to the meeting this evening, Dr. Karen Spees and Ms. Diane Reeser gave a presentation on the Prevention of Bullying.
• The Fourth Grade team presented a video of their recent trip to Jamestown and thanked the PTA for funding the buses for this trip.
• Ms. Annan previously presented the results of the Spring 2010 site-based survey of parents. The results of this survey are in the library. Of the 402 Jamestown families that were surveyed, 235 surveys were returned. The survey asked parents, among other things, whether they agree that the amount of time their children spend doing homework is reasonable. 35 percent of parents who responded strongly agreed and 37 percent somewhat agreed. The survey also asked whether parents agree that children have enough information to complete homework on their own. 74 percent either strongly or somewhat agreed. The survey also asked whether the parents believe that Jamestown has an open atmosphere of communication. 43 percent of parents who responded strongly agreed and 34 percent somewhat agreed.
These responses were discussed at the PTA meeting. Parents indicated that the administration and staff are communicating well with parents. With regard to homework, some parents indicated that, with each successive year, there should be a more natural progression in the amount of time children spend on homework. There were also comments made that there can be inconsistencies between classes in a grade level. Also, it is helpful when teachers give as much notice as possible of tests, quizzes and projects. Ms. Annan listened to parents’ concerns and will pass along the comments to the staff. If you have additional comments, please contact either Ms. Annan or Ms. Schafner.
Fundraising – Katherine Price
• Scholastic Funds for Teachers – Based on past book fairs, Jamestown has $3000 to spend through the Scholastic Corporation. The money will be divided among the grade levels, special education teachers, and Spanish teachers.
• There was discussion about having recess on the blacktop and that the children would also like to play on the field behind the school.
Treasurer – Jill Curran
• Current financial statements were distributed.
Internal Relations – Peggy Richardson
• The APS Technology Advisor has, at the request of the PTA, recommended a sound system that would improve the acoustics in the Multi-Purpose room. A motion was made and approved to spend $5000 to purchase and install this system.
• Thanks to Sheila Flett and Dr. Spees for coordinating and implementing the drive to send t-shirts, baseball caps and other items to a village in Mali. Pictures sent back to Jamestown from the people in the village will be on the PTA website.
Communications – Laura Cressey
• Thanks to Karen Apsel for working so hard on the PTA’s e-newsletter each Friday.
Adjourned 8:45 p.m.