PTA Meeting Minutes – May 28, 2009
Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
May 28, 2009
Call to Order – Herman Narcho
• The meeting was called to order at 7:35 p.m. The minutes of the April 28, 2009, PTA meeting were approved. In addition to the current Executive Board, Ms. Annan-Glascoe and Ms. Schaffner, there were eight parents present.
• The next PTA meeting will be Tuesday, June 9, 2009 at 7:30 p.m.
• The following candidates were elected to the 2009-10 Executive Board:
President: Cliff Logan
VP – Internal Relations: Peggy Richardson
VP – Community Relations: Brenna Isman
Treasurer: Roger Bultman
Principal’s Report – Laura Annan-Glascoe
• Mary Gaynor gave an impressive presentation about art education in the schools and showed a Podcast of third graders discussing the art of Evan Reed, our Artist in Residence. Ms. Gaynor will put the Podcast on the website. Ms. Gaynor also thanked the PTA for its support of the art program at Jamestown.
• Ms. Annan-Glascoe will have a coffee with parents on Wednesday, June 3 at 8:00 a.m. to discuss a suggestion from a parent that JES change its policy and include letter grades on third grade report cards. On June 5, 2009, parents will be surveyed and asked to vote on the policy change.
• Pete Neal has agreed to build a pergola over the benches in the Inner Courtyard for an approximate cost of $1248 for materials. The teachers on the Outdoor Classroom Committee are also in favor of this project. The proposal must first be approved by APS. Assuming we receive this approval, a motion was made and approved to construct this pergola.
Treasurer’s Report –Miriam Discenza
• The Spring Fair netted approximately $10,300. Approximately $7500 of these proceeds will be set aside for teacher training.
• A motion was made and approved that the $1200 remaining in the Instrumental Music fund be used to buy two wireless microphones and cases. The microphones will be reserved for special events at the school.
Fundraising – Katherine Price
• Order forms for school supplies have been distributed.
• A new “Jamestown Spirit Wear Committee” has been formed and is working on developing Jamestown merchandise.
Community Relations – Karen Apsel
• Laura Ayres and Allison Goss did a great job creating, directing and producing Jamestown’s first school play. Laura Ayres reported that more than 80 children were involved and they all did an amazing job. The play was exciting for the children who were part of the performances and those who attended performances. Special thanks to Lilly Kelly, Michelle Cormack and Emilie Rekstad. We discussed purchasing gift certificates for many of the people who donated so much of their own time and money. A motion was made and approved to use $1200 from ticket sales and DVD sales to purchase 2 additional wireless microphones and cases to be set aside for special events at the school. (A total of four wireless microphones will be purchased.)
• The cereal drive for AFAC will be held from June 8-12.
Corresponding Secretary – Laura Cressey
• Ruth Gordon has put the PayPal function on Jamestown’s website for the purchase of merchandise and school supplies.
• On June 5, all parents will be surveyed about their opinion of whether to give letter grades on report cards starting in the third grade. Currently at Jamestown, letter grades begin in the fourth grade. Other Arlington Elementary schools give letter grades beginning in the third grade. Mr. Narcho said he has heard from parents with divergent views. Some parents believe the benefit of giving letter grades in the third grade is that the parents will receive more detailed feedback about their child’s performance at a younger age. Other parents have expressed concern that this could increase pressure on the children at a younger age. The survey will include a copy of the current Jamestown third grade report card and the report card used at other elementary schools. Parents of children in all grade levels are encouraged to respond to the survey.
• Special thanks to outgoing Executive Board members Herman Narcho, Miriam Discenza, Julie Esanu and Karen Apsel for serving the PTA so well!
Adjourned 8:40 p.m.