PTA Meeting Minutes – March 1, 2011
Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
March 1, 2011
Call to Order – Cliff Logan
• The meeting was called to order at 7:31 p.m. Lori West (Math Coach and Exemplary Project Quest Coordinator) and Amy Blain (Librarian) attended the meeting.
• A motion was made and passed to approve the February 1, 2011 PTA meeting minutes.
• A motion was made and passed to approve the Nominating Committee to fill vacancies in the 2011-12 PTA. Members of the committee will be: Karen Apsel, Laura Cressey, Katherine Price, Ginny Ramos, and Beth Welsh.
• The Virginia Department of Taxation met with Cliff Logan and Jill Curran on February 28, 2011. The Department of Taxation does not need any additional information and will send a report soon. Thanks to Jill for all of her hard work preparing for the audit.
Principal’s Report – Laura Annan Glascoe
• “Drop Everything and Read” will be held at 3:15 p.m. on March 2. All students and staff will read in the hallway for 15 minutes in honor of Dr. Seuss’s birthday.
• Parent-Teacher conferences will be held on March 3 and 4. Many grades will have student-led conferences.
• APS is changing math books next year. Samples of texts under consideration are in the library. On March 7, the Math Committee will narrow down the choices based on feedback received.
• Play practice is going well and the children are having a great time.
External Relations – Brenna Isman
• The Girl Scouts delivered 225 pounds of food to AFAC this month.
Treasurer – Jill Curran
• Current financial statements were distributed.
Recording Secretary – Beth Welsh
• A motion was made and passed to approve the proposed bylaws. They will be submitted to the Virginia PTA for approval.
Corresponding Secretary – Laura Cressey
• We will need a new PTA webmaster next year. Please let Laura Cressey know if you are interested.
• Before the April PTA meeting, a discussion will be held about whether there is interest in joining the other APS elementary schools and giving letter grades on report cards starting in third grade. After the meeting, we will survey the community to determine interest in changing to letter grades.
Adjourned 8:25 p.m.