Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
February 7, 2012
Call to Order – Katherine Price
- A motion was made and passed to approve the January 3, 2012 PTA meeting minutes.
- Ms. Price gave an update on APS capacity issues. Jamestown is at 99.7% capacity (605 students) and is expected to be at 105.9% capacity next year. All Arlington elementary schools are at or near capacity. Dr. Murphy is considering increasing class size by 1 student again next year. To voice opinions, parents and teachers may speak at the School Board meeting for 3 minutes or can email all members at firstname.lastname@example.org (cc County Board at email@example.com). On February 8, at 8:00 p.m. the School Board will hold a work session on capacity. On February 13, Emma Violand-Sanchez, Jamestown’s liaison to the School Board, invited Jamestown parents and staff to speak to her about this issue. On February 15, a Community Forum on Capacity will be held. We also discussed joining parents/staff from other elementary schools to work together on this.
- Margie Finn gave an update on the Block Scheduling proposal currently under consideration for Middle School. Under the proposal, class lengths will increase and class frequency would decrease. Some parents are concerned about the length of classes and the feeling that class sizes would increase under this proposal. Also, P.E. and band would be held every other day instead of every day and Reading/English classes would be combined. Arlington Parents for Effective Scheduling in Schools recently formed and these parents would like input into the Block Scheduling proposal. For information, go to apesschools.org. Parents can speak at the Feb. 16 School Board meeting. There is also an Open Town Hall on the APS website (pg 15925).
Principal’s Report – Kenwyn Schaffner
- Before the meeting, Guye Turner gave a presentation on Responsive Classroom and its implementation at Jamestown.
- Dr. Ann McCarty, Principal of Williamsburg Middle School, will speak before the March 7, 2012, PTA meeting on the Transition to Middle School.
Treasurer’s Report – Jill Curran
- Current financials were distributed.
External Relations – Renee Clough
- We discussed options for possibly sharing some of Jamestown’s successful fundraising efforts with our community. Arlington Pediatric Clinic (APC) serves Arlington’s children without health insurance. Jamestown has conducted Toy Drives for APC. We discussed possibly donating some Spring Fair proceeds as long as they are separate from what the PTA brings in. For example, we could dedicate the money raised at the Spring Fair’s Second Hand Treasures or bake sale to APC. We also discussed using Jamestown’s kitchen to have students make sandwiches for the homeless. The SCA is conducting “Pennies for Patients” for the prevention of childhood cancer.
Funraising – Wendy Noe
- Jamestown’s Gala Auction will be held at WGCC on Friday, February 10 at 6:30 p.m.
- The Spring Fair will be on April 21. The chairs are working hard to prepare.
- Ms. Schaffner will check with Ms. Kahler to discuss whether the Talent Show will be held.
Adjourn 9:00 p.m.