PTA Meeting Minutes – February 1, 2011
Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
Call to Order – Cliff Logan
• The meeting was called to order at 7:33 p.m.
• Motions were made and passed to approve the January 4, 2011 PTA meeting minutes.
• The Virginia Department of Taxation will audit the Jamestown PTA from March 7-10, 2011, and will review the 2006-2008 financial records.
• There was discussion about the 3 Arlington elementary schools that received the Governor’s Award for Educational Excellence. Jamestown received this award in 2008. The award criteria changed in 2009 and, to receive the award, 95 percent of the students must pass the reading SOL. In 2009, 82 percent of Jamestown students passed and, in 2010, 83 percent passed. This is the focus of Jamestown’s Management Plan this year. Also, Jamestown received the Virginia Department of Education Award this year. Test scores and awards are indicators of how we can continue to help the children.
Principal’s Report – Laura Annan Glascoe
• Camilla Gagliolo is being honored by the School Board for her inspiring and innovative work at Jamestown and throughout APS.
• Drew Model School is hosting a workshop on February 16, 2011, entitled “Parent Expectations in Student Achievement.”
• The First and Second grade teams attended the meeting.
• Summer school is being held at Jamestown this year from July 11 through August 11.
Treasurer – Jill Curran
• Current financial statements were distributed.
• We are working to have the new sound system delivered soon and then installed.
Recording Secretary – Beth Welsh
• According to the Virginia PTA, our local bylaws must be revised and approved every 5 years. We are in the process of revising our bylaws. They will be posted on the PTA website for review. We will vote on the proposed bylaws at the March 1, 2011 PTA meeting.
• A nominating committee is being formed in order to fill the vacancies in the PTA Executive Board for the 2011-12 school year. The offices of President, Vice President for Internal Relations and Vice President for External Relations will be open. If anyone is interested in being nominated for these offices, please let us know. We will also announce openings for PTA committee chairs.
Adjourned 8:10 p.m.