PTA Meeting Minutes – February 4, 2010
Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
February 4, 2010
Call to Order – Cliff Logan
• The meeting was called to order at 7:36 p.m. There was a motion made and accepted to approve the minutes of the January 5, 2010, PTA meeting.
Principal’s Report – Laura Annan Glascoe/Kenwyn Schaffner
• Ms. Schaffner thanked the PTA for the checks distributed to the teachers to support their classroom and students.
Fundraising – Katherine Price
• Due to the impending severe winter storm, the Winter Social has been rescheduled from Friday, February 5 to February 26 at the Washington Golf and Country Club. The Fundraising Committee will confirm that all who purchased tickets are still able to attend. There was some discussion about whether this event should be held earlier in the school year.
• The PTA closet has been cleaned out.
External Relations – Brenna Isman
• The County-wide Reflections Ceremony was held on January 28, 2010, and the Jamestown ceremony was held on January 29, 2010. We discussed possibly having a Reflections Committee next year to assist the Reflections Co-Chairs. We also discussed ways to increase participation in the contest. Thanks very much to Ginny Ramos and Lauren Johnson for all of their work on this program.
• CCPTA – Theresa Waddell attended the recent County Council PTA meeting and reported that the APS shortfall this year will be $20-$47 million. Significant cuts will need to be made in the APS budget. The priority programs are those related to the core SOL curriculum. The Superintendant’s proposed budget will be issued February 22 and then there will be discussion about the proposed budget. Parents should send letters to School Board members to voice any concerns about proposed cuts.
Adjourned 8:10 p.m.