Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
February 3, 2009
Call to Order – Herman Narcho
• The meeting was called to order at 7:31 p.m. The minutes of the January 6, 2009, PTA meeting were approved. The Physical Education team was present at the meeting. In addition to the Executive Board, there were approximately seven parents present.
• Inner Courtyard Update – As previously announced, the PTA has received a grant of $4,000 from a private foundation for the Inner Courtyard. We have also received an anonymous donation of $3,000 to be used as the Principal sees fit. The PTA recently bought ten backless, teak benches for the Inner Courtyard after teachers met and discussed their vision for the space. One parent offered to look into possible “table tops” to cover the picnic tables located in the courtyard. Trudy Kahler indicated that the outdoor area near the gym is in need of tending, especially the trees dedicated to former teachers.
Principal’s Report – Laura Annan-Glascoe
• Lice Update – The Health Department has told Ms. Glascoe that Jamestown’s “no nit” policy is inconsistent with Health Department Policy. The Health Department will issue a list of products that parents should use once nits are discovered before the child may return to school. If nits are found, the child’s class and his/her siblings’ classes are also checked for nits.
• Please keep children home from school for 24 hours after a fever, and 48 hours after vomiting.
• The Variety show will be downsized this year to 25 acts. There will only be one show and children will need to audition.
• We have requested a climbing wall for the gym from APS.
Treasurer’s Report –Miriam Discenza
• We opened a new bank account to hold the $4,000 Inner Courtyard grant funds.
• The bookfair raised approximately $3,570.
Fundraising – Katherine Price
• The Winter Social will be held on February 6, 2009 at the Washington Golf and Country Club.
• Barnes & Noble Fundraiser – We raised approximately $2,000 (gross). Ms. Blaine will receive a $200 gift card to Barnes & Noble for the library. Thank you to Natalie Dristas for organizing this fundraiser.
Community Relations – Karen Apsel
• At the CCPTA meeting on February 2, 2009, two policy changes were discussed. First, the CCPTA proposed that classroom volunteers and observers be given a Confidentiality Policy. Second, there were discussions about setting a policy regarding who may enter the classrooms and the frequency and duration of visits. Also at the meeting, it was also decided that home-schooled high school students may take two classes per semester at Arlington high schools. The possibility of overcrowding was discussed but no decisions were made in this regard. Dr. Smith and Chairman Ed Fendley also spoke on the APS budget. Mr. Fendley indicated that the list of proposed budget cuts has been posted on the APS website. A list of proposed legislation that is supported by the Virginia State PTA was also posted.
• School Play Update – Auditions will be held next week and casting will be posted on Friday, February 13, 2009.
Internal Relations – Julie Esanu
• The Junior Great Books program will begin in two or three weeks.
• APS is now accepting comments on the proposed 2009-10 school calendar. A link to the calendar will be posted on Jamestown’s PTA website.
Corresponding Secretary – Laura Cressey
• Ms. Cressey is currently researching security systems to install at the front door. The first bid was for $18,000 which would include the installation of additional cameras and approximately 30 computers with release buttons to unlock the door. Another bid for $12,000 was received which would be lower tech. We will have another bid soon. A private firm may make a donation to help pay for the system.
• PTA Website – Ruth Gordon has worked on reorganizing and streamlining the information on the website.
• A parent raised the issue of having PTA members vote on whether to begin giving children letter grades in the third grade instead of the fourth grade. Ms. Glascoe explained that several years ago Jamestown parents asked the School Board to allow Jamestown to delay giving letter grades until the fourth grade. The School Board agreed. A poll of parents could be taken via the Jamestown e-bulletin to determine if parents would like to change our current policy. Any changes would need to be approved by the School Board.
Adjourned 8:35 p.m.