Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
December 6, 2011
Call to Order – Katherine Price
- Before the meeting, Camilla Gagliolo gave a presentation on “Technology at Jamestown: An Update on how we are using technology including handheld devices to enhance instruction.” Jamestown has 100 I-pads and 50 I-touches and is one of only 7 schools designated by UNESCO as a “School of Innovation.” (Jamestown is the only School of Innovation in the United States.) Ms. Gagliolo is one of only 4 Apple Designated Educators in Virginia.
- A motion was made and passed to approve the November 1, 2011 PTA meeting minutes.
- Krista Singleton Cambage gave a presentation on the Arlington Special Education PTA (SEPTA). Its mission is to enrich the education of children who have special needs. SEPTA provides support for parents, teachers, and students. If you have ideas or are interested in more information, contact Ms. Singleton Cambage firstname.lastname@example.org.
Principal’s Report – Kenwyn Schaffner
- The fourth grade team thanked the PTA for funding the bus for their trip to the Jamestown Settlement and showed a comic Life Presentation of their trip.
External Relations – Renee Clough
- Thanks to Natalie Dristas and Pam Tanenbaum for their work on Jamestown’s Reflections contest. Jamestown’s first place entries have moved onto the County level.
Treasurer – Jill Curran
- Current financial statements were distributed.
Internal Relations – Audrey Lesesne
- Karen McAndrews updated the PTA on the creation of the Student Wellness program at Jamestown. The SCA will help implement the program.
- A parent raised a concern about the safety of using Wi-Fi in schools. Ms. Schaffner asked to read the report referenced by the parent and will talk to the Assistant Superintendant of Technology for APS.
Fundraising – Wendy Noe
- Thanks to Kim Mullin and Bhavani Hamann for their work on the Fall Book Fair.
- We have two volunteers to be co-chairs of the Spring Fair.
- Jamestown’s fundraiser at Homemade Pizza Co is December 20, 2011 from 1-9 p.m.
- The script.com fundraiser is going well. We have received many orders.
- The Winter Social will be held on February 10, 2012 at the Washington Golf and Country Club.
- Adjourned 8:45 p.m.