Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
December 8, 2009
Call to Order – Cliff Logan
• The meeting was called to order at 7:35 p.m. There was a motion made and accepted to approve the minutes of the November 3, 2009, PTA meeting.
• Before the meeting, there was an informative presentation on the Word Study Program given by Jamestown teachers Nancy Kauffunger and Jennifer Ellington. The Fourth Grade Team also attended the PTA meeting.
• Thanks to Renee Clough for organizing and running the Ice Cream Social. It was a very successful event and everyone had a lot of fun.
• APS will cut $46 million from its budget for the 2010-2011 school year. APS will hold meetings and any parents who want to have input on the budget issues should attend these meetings. Please also complete the community survey at www.apsva.us/budget/communitysurvey. Several important programs are listed as at risk, including gifted resource teachers, the FLES program, arts programs, participation in Thomas Jefferson High School of Science & Technology, and after-school activities. The survey provides opportunities to identify the programs you most want preserved, as well as to rank or suggest items under consideration for cutting. The survey is open until December 18.
Principal’s Report – Laura Annan Glascoe
• Ms. Schaffner gave the Principal’s Report on Behalf of Ms. Glascoe who was sick. Thank you to all parents who helped with the H1N1 Clinics. They ran very smoothly.
• The Fourth Grade Team thanked the PTA for helping to fund the Jamestown Trip this year on November 6. There are many pictures and a Comic Life presentation on the Jamestown website.
• Thanks to Betsy Upton for organizing the Secret Service’s Operation Safe Kids program at Jamestown this week. It was a huge success.
• Before the January PTA meeting, Dr. Bronwen Radkin will speak on Executive Functioning. The presentation will begin at 6:45 p.m.
Treasurer’s Report – Roger Bultman
• The PTA’s tax return was filed by November 15, 2009. If anyone would like to see a copy, see Mr. Bultman.
• Mr. Bultman has completed the PTA’s audit report.
• A current copy of the budget was distributed.
Fundraising – Katherine Price
• Margaret Clarkson, co-chair of the Spring Fair, reported that we need 9 additional chairs of games and activities at the Spring Fair. She will be in contact with room parents.
• Thank you to Bhavani Hamann and Kim Mullin for organizing and running the Book Fair. It was a huge amount of work and it was very successful. Jamestown gave several boxes of books to Hoffman-Boston School and also reserved $200 to buy books for another local organization.
External Relations – Brenna Isman
• Jamestown students are collecting warm weather items to distribute to community shelters and outreach programs. If you have new or gently used cold weather clothing (coats, sweaters, jackets, scarves, hats, boots, gloves, etc.) for children or adults, please drop them in the coat-drive collection boxes by December 11.
• Jamestown’s fifth graders are collecting new or very gently used, unwrapped toys for children who receive care at the Arlington Pediatric Clinic. Please donate by December 11.
• We need a volunteer who can serve as Jamestown’s representative to the CCPTA. Meetings are once a month on Monday evenings. If you can help, please contact Brenna Isman.
Corresponding Secretary – Laura Cressey
• The PTA has developed a survey to collect feedback on birthday treats, parties, and the cafeteria. A motion was made but not approved to remove Question 4 on the survey (regarding options in the cafeteria). The question will be re-worded and the survey will be sent to parents and teachers in the next week or so. Please respond to the survey and provide your input on these issues.
Adjourned 8:20 p.m.