Minutes of the Jamestown PTA Meeting
April 10, 2012
Call to Order – Katherine Price
- A motion was made and passed to approve the March 6, 2012, PTA meeting minutes.
Principal’s Report – Kenwyn Schaffner
- Before the meeting, Jamestown’s Special Education Team presented on the Special Education Process and Services and Strategies for Intervention.
- Harriet Runkle, Faculty Chair of the Outdoor Habitat Committee, thanked the PTA for funding this committee. Earth Day is coming up and the committee will mulch the school yard next week. They are seeking parents to help with that effort. The County donates the mulch. Also, Salad Day is May 1. Lettuce plants are planted and the classes will harvest the lettuce, wash it and they will eat their salads during lunch. The 4th graders are making the salad dressing. Ms. Runkle also said that the teachers are committed to having the children outside in the courtyard during the school year and they are hoping to make this an overall school effort from the students, parents and teachers. The Outdoor Habitat Committee is willing to provide a more structured curriculum and would like parents’ help and the help of the PTA’s Outdoor Habitat Committee so that the school’s efforts are not quite as class-specific. Parents expressed interest in helping the committee. Ms. Schaffner thanked Monica Gerlach who started the PTA’s courtyard efforts and will continue to work on these matters. If you are interested in helping, please contact Harriet Runkle.
Treasurer’s Report – Jill Curran
- Current financials were distributed.
- A motion was made and passed to approve $750 for accounting expenses to pay the CPA who prepared our annual audit and our tax returns.
External Relations – Renee Clough
- The PTA Nominating Committee proposes the following persons to fill the open PTA Executive Board positions for the 2012-13 school year: Recording Secretary – Becky Logan; Corresponding Secretary – Jay Williams; Treasurer – Jill Curran. If any parents are interested in serving as Assistant Treasurer, please contact Jill Curran or Renee Clough.
Internal Relations – Audrey Lesesne
- A motion was made and passed to approve $700 for the Wellness Committee to cover the chef-in-residence program and the Poster Campaign. The first 4 posters will be posted April 25, 2012. Sean Haley is donating 25 free posters and Matt Mendelsohn is donating the photography services.
- The fifth grade promotion ceremony will be June 19.
- Teacher Appreciation Week starts May 7.
Adjourned 8:50 p.m.